Compression for New Relic logs

Hi there! This is Josep, from New Relic. I would like to ask you whether this integration compresses the log payloads that it sends to the Logs HTTP API. As documented here, gzipping the body contents and placing the Content-Type: application/json and Content-Encoding: gzip headers would be desireable to reduce the network data volume.

From what I see here, it seems compression is not available for the New Relic Logs integration. Could it be added?

Also, as a side topic, I wonder how the logs sent to the API are being batched. Are they batched every X seconds or whenever they reach a certain size?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hiya,

This sounds like an obvious win :-). It’s quite an old log integration so possibly we haven’t added log compression if that’s a feature that you haven’t always supported? I’m asking our observability product team to chime in.

(I also moved this to a new topic since it’s a question)

Andrew

Hey @triblondon ,

Thanks a lot for the fast response! Compression support has been supported for a very long time, but I’m unsure since when. Adding support for it would actually be a huge win!

On another hand, do you know whether logs sent to the Logs API are being batched? Are they batched every X seconds or whenever they reach a certain size?

Thank you in advance,

Josep