S3 Transfer Acceleration worth it behind Fastly?

Hi,

We currently serve some static files with Fastly from a S3 bucket as a backend.

I know Fastly has some optimizations between the Fastly network and AWS’s.

Would enabling S3 Transfer Acceleration be faster for cold objects? Obviously it would not change a thing for objects already cached by Fastly.

More info about S3 Transfer Acceleration: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/transfer-acceleration.html

Thanks.

Nope, it looks like S3TA is just putting CloudFront in front of S3, and putting Fastly in front of S3 has the same benefits (if not better. :slight_smile: )

But my question is not about Fastly+S3 vs S3TA+S3, it’s about Fastly+S3 vs Fastly+S3TA+S3.

If I plug Fastly to S3TA instead of S3, will Fastly retrieve uncached object faster with from S3TA? Or it’s just another layer for not much improvement in this case.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but the point I was trying to make was adding another layer of roughly the same isn’t going to help improve things. And might even make performance worse.

And now that I think about it, it actually makes things worse if you use purging at all. Fastly’s purging is orders of magnitude faster than CloudFront’s (we’re talking minutes, not 150ms) so if you were to update a file on S3, and then purge both CDNs, we would cache the old object since it hasn’t been purged from CloudFront yet.