I will be creating a lot of custom VCL code and also using the UI to add rules too. I want to make sure I have the process down pat before embarking…
My understanding on the rules for mixing custom vcl with fastly vcl is that the #Fastly macros in the VCL boilerplate will expand to all of the UI-created rules. Is my understating here correct?
If so, then would the following test be valid:
- download the fastly boilerplate
- Add custom VCL into the boilerplate (lets call this document custom VCL)
- create some rules using the fastly UI
- Upload the custom VCL for the service
- View the service’s VCL and it should include all the rules for the UI generated code AND the custom VCL.
- Add more rules in the UI
- Take the custom VCL and add more code
- Upload the custom VCL again
- View the service’s VCL and it should include all the rules for the UI generated code AND the custom VCL including the original custom VCL and the new VCL.
I think this process should work - does anyone have any other suggestions on mixing custom and UI generated code?
Related Question: is it preferable to use the UI to create the backends or code them directly into the custom vcl?