Google PageSpeed Module

Hi,

I got a VPS-Apache with Google PageSpeed Module with its filters for speed. Does Fastly work with that server tool or does it bypass it.

My websites are mainly Wordpress. Thanks

Hi @rafaelmagic!

Putting Fastly in front of your PageSpeed-optimized site should work well. Google PageSpeed works to optimize your site for general web performance best practices, and these optimizations will also improve your performance with Fastly.

@aspires

Good to hear. I also been looking at the WP Fastly plugin which should take care of the Headers.

I also have a few questions:

1)Should I delete my .htaccess Browser Cache code?

2)Is your Varnish VLC caching HTML?

3)I currently have Varnish in my server should I Exclude the name by Pass or Pipe?

4)I belive Google Page Module adds headers, any conflicts, work arounds?

I plan to try out Fastly while maintaing Varnish for my other sites…

I may have spoken too soon with my previous response. There are a few considerations with working with PageSpeed and Fastly: https://docs.fastly.com/guides/debugging/why-am-i-getting-cache-misses-with-google-pagespeed-module

Following the steps in the guide above address some of your questions. But, to fully use Fastly’s WordPress plugin, we’ll need to enable the final areas of functionality for your account – this will set the appropriate objects (like your admin tools) to pass through the cache properly.

If you email support@fastly.com we can enable this for you.

1. You can still keep Cache-Control headers around, see http://radar.oreilly.com/2015/04/how-to-leverage-the-browser-cache-with-a-cdn.html for a detailed dive into why.
  2. The default VCL we generate does indeed cache HTML.
  3. You can keep using your own Varnish for caching, if you want. If you want to exclude the hostname for your WP blog, I would advise using pass. pipe is really only meant for instances where the protocol isn’t actually HTTP(/1.1). Whether or not to pass through traffic for your Fastly hosted content is up to you. For simplicity sake passing it through would probably be best.
  4. It depends somewhat on which headers and what values.

@aspire & @drwilco

Wow. Sold. Thanks for your answers.

You guys just gave some some mandatory reading and homework.

Looking forward to using the service.